Welcome to the wilds! New Jersey for me was like crossing the border into Tijuana. Sure, the new lifestyle was crazy, but no one would ever admit to living there. When my husband’s job was relocated here in August 2010, we both were frightened. Now we’re learning about life, love, and marriage in this strange new culture. Feel free to tag along for the adventure.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Unpacked

The house at long last is unpacked. Everything still needs organized but the space is more than livable. We could survive months with the disorganization, although I plan to tackle it in the coming days. The cats too have adjusted. Every night as we fall asleep, we listen to their sporadic calls and tumbles; until they too join us in bed. Their favorite part of this place are the old window screens that allow bugs to sneak through them. They chase, catch and destroy the intruders with gusto.

Over the past two days, we have found many necessities: Walmart, Kohl’s, the grocery store, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Bottle King. We even tried a general store for sandwiches and the local coffee hot spot. Both of which were good. But the best thing NJ has to offer so far are the local vegetable markets. Their garden tomatoes and cucumbers are scrumptious! We have devoured them in earnest, and I am planning another trip to get more tomorrow.

Surprisingly, we have also ventured into yard sale territory. This was the first time that I had seen my husband in action. We stepped onto the gravel drive of the yard seller's domain and I could have sworn antennae popped out of my husband's head as he scanned for deals! I saw a lot of nothing. He saw bargains that we could not pass up. All in all we bought 8 cigar boxes for 10 cents a piece and one end table that needs polished. In my naive non-bargaining ways I agreed to pay $5 for this table and was scolded promptly for my ignorance, because as my husband put it, "Woman, we could have gotten it for 3 dollars that's two less dollars in our pocket!" I could only roll my eyes, laugh, and shake my head at his thrifty ways.

Other than that all is well. We had our first non-working visitor over today and enjoyed his company immensely. He is from Jersey and I promised to post something kind about the state. Although, over the past few days, I've come across nothing to incite anger or rage. In fact this pastoral lifestyle is peaceful. We have found fawns grazing on the lawn just outside our front door and have seen yellow finches and chickadees pecking at the seeds at our bird feeder. There's no busy traffic, and people swim, hike, bike, and jog around our community.

We have not met our neighbors. We have seen them in passing, eyed each other and nodded. Eventually, I imagine one of us will get the courage to actually verbalize a greeting. However, the simple acknowledgment that we exist is enough for now.

The only anxiety remains in whether or not my husband will like his new post. He is confident and unaffected by the change, but I harbor enough nervousness for the two of us. Both my fingers and toes are crossed that all goes well tomorrow as he meets his new colleagues.

And with that, I'm signing off...

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment