Welcome to the wilds! New Jersey for me was like crossing the border into Tijuana. Sure, the new lifestyle was crazy, but no one would ever admit to living there. When my husband’s job was relocated here in August 2010, we both were frightened. Now we’re learning about life, love, and marriage in this strange new culture. Feel free to tag along for the adventure.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Timid Monster Challenge! (You could actually win something)

Over the weekend, my husband and I discovered a new, free publication that targets the counties of the Wilds of New Jersey including (but not limited to) such townships as White, Allamuchy, and Buttsville. Besides the joke that there is actually a township named Buttsville, we were also impressed by the number of comic stories that the paper included.

As we read each, I honed in on a quarter page ad that read, “Hackettstown Street Fair, Sunday!”

“Street Fair!” I shrieked.

My husband threw his head into his hands and mumbled, “We’re going…aren’t we?”

If there is one thing that I love, it’s fairs and street markets. Madrid has the Rostro, and I have never seen such a beautiful open air market in my life. Cusco has the Molino with black market goods and all types of Andean art. And while both are incredible in their own right, there is just something special about an American Fair. Call me ethnocentric, but there is nothing quite as fun as eating hot sausage sandwiches, French fries with vinegar, and funnel cake on a sunny day surrounded by unique venders, live music, and farm animals!




Impressively, Hackettstown had most of the required items on our scavenger hunt to make the outing perfect…excluding farm animals. However, I marked that off of our list, because there was a set of boxers, a great dane, and a few Chihuahuas which I considered to be two miniature ponies, a horse, and three bunnies.



Then, the powdered sugar on our adventure was the Roller Derby. Recently, we rented Whip It, an independent film about a girl who joins a roller derby team. It looked dangerous and fun, so when we saw the stand of women with the sign “Skyland Roller Girls,” we were drawn to it like moths to a flame. Apparently, in the wilds, women enjoying skating in a circle and shoving one another. I mean... it sounds better than cow tipping, right? After getting their brochure, we actually talked to one of the tough athletes, who suggested I come to a practice.

I answered without smirking, “Oh…I don’t know about that…I have the killer instincts of a sun flower.”

The roller chick and my husband could barely contain their laughter.

However, while you probably won’t be seeing me at a practice any time soon, my hubby and I are headed to the roller derby on Saturday and perhaps even the after party.




Now for the Challenge...


Beyond the awesome Skyland Rollers, we also stopped at every artist’s stand. Having had my brief rendezvous with the real world, I truly appreciate people who have found ways to make their passion their income. I am still trying to master that feat.

Anyways, one of these people is Trish Czech. She has combined writing and art into her collection of Timid Monsters…Her tag line being, “Because not all art should be serious.”




 I wanted to share, the hilarity of the monsters with all of you from Elwin who wants to be a spy but is afraid of becoming a pawn in a hostile power struggle over the last donut in the cupboard to Marek who memorizes songs backwards to become immune to subliminal messaging. After reading these stories associated and shamelessly taking pictures of them, I bought one.


Here’s the game… check out the website at www.timidmonsters.com. Post your guess for what timid monster you think that I brought home by October 1st, and the first person to guess it correctly will receive their very own timid monster.


Hint: No, she’s not The Purple People Eater, but she does have one eye.


And feel free to pass the challenge onto your friends!!!! While spreading farts is gross…spreading art isn't.

4 comments:

  1. While I do love a timid monster that volunteers to braid long-haired cats on Thursdays...Lorraine is not the one I brought home.

    Although, you have identified something else that my timid monster has: two horns.

    Keep Guessing & Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also another hint, my timid monster is not pictured in the stands of monsters that I posted...

    ReplyDelete